St Peter’s Church, Askham is situated next to the river in a very pretty setting. It welcomes regular worshippers and visitors to its services and other special events. The church was built by Sir Robert Smirke who was working on the design for Lowther Castle and the foundation stone is dated 28th June 1832. Records show that a church dedicated to St Kentigern existed on the site in 1240 and remained until the present church was built.
Anyone wishing to make arrangements for baptisms, weddings and funerals should contact the Rev. Philip Clarke at The Rectory, Clifton. Tel 01768 895201 or email email@example.com
- Mrs R White
- Mrs F Ashcroft
St Michael’s Church stands within an extensive Churchyard within Lowther park and in the shadow of the ruined Lowther Castle. A spectacular location which overlooks the River Lowther and commands fine views over forest and fell. From ‘hog-back’ Saxon burial stones unearthed in the Churchyard, it is clear that Christian worship has continued on this site for some 1000 years. Todays building dates from 1686 when the walls of the 13th Century Church were pulled down and rebuilt. There are also 18th and 19th Century additions.